MAY 19, 2015

If you prefer to read this in a browser, please click here.
Advertising
Google: Video Ad Viewability Highest on Mobile

A new report from Google analyzes video ad viewability by device. Viewability of video ads in this report uses the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB) definition of ‘50% of an ad’s pixels are visible on screen for at least two consecutive seconds.’ Of the ads that were not viewed, 76% were on a background tab or were never on screen at all and the other 24% were abandoned or scrolled off screen in faster than two seconds. The report further outlines the importance of device, player size, and position on the screen to viewability. According to the report, device matters: video ad viewability is significantly higher on smartphones and tablets (around 80% viewability) compared to desktop or laptop computers (around 53% viewability). Player size also matters as larger players that tend to be on video-focused sites generally demonstrate better viewability. Video ads that are centered horizontally and at the top of the page were the most viewable.

So what?

As audiences continue to migrate to mobile, this is good news for marketers. Videos (and the ads within them) played on mobile are less likely to be relegated to a background tab as might occur on desktops. We continue to see more evidence presented that smaller screens are just as effective for advertising as the larger screens that preceded them.

> Click here for report
Social Media
Facebook: Our Algorithm Does Not Skew Users’ View of the World

Facebook is often blamed for creating a ‘filter bubble’ for its users. Many argue that as it tries to personalize users’ experience to maximize their engagement, Facebook’s algorithm selectively filters out links to content about political views that differ from theirs. In an article published in the acclaimed journal Science, Facebook’s Data Science team puts this theory to the test and argues that users themselves, not the algorithm, are those who limit the exposure to ideologically diverse news. In the study, the Facebook researchers looked at data from millions of users who disclose their ideological affiliation in their profiles and examined how frequently they were exposed to and interacted with links to content about an opposing political view. They found that the variable that has the largest impact on exposure to opposing content is the people a user selects to become friends with. Friends of people with a certain political affiliation were much less likely to share opposing content than the general population on Facebook, and the Facebook algorithm did not do much to further reduce the number of opposing links the user was exposed to. Users were also less likely to click on opposing links that they were exposed to. The study concludes that both liberals and conservatives have the potential to be exposed to content representing opposing opinions, but whether or not that happens is mostly dependent on individual choices rather than algorithmic biases.

Facebook_filter_bubble

So what?

While this study focused on the political bubble Facebook is accused of fostering, its findings are relevant beyond just ‘hard news.' One of the big challenges for content creators is increasing their exposure beyond their native audiences. If indeed a user’s network has the largest impact on what that user would be exposed to, then the study reinforces the importance of encouraging Condé Nast’s audiences to share what they like on social, so that their friends would be able to discover content they may otherwise not be aware of.

> Click here for report
Quick Takes
Condé Nast Reaches Most Affluent Millennials in Digital Lifestyle Category for 18th Straight Month
202f58d0-d3ea-4df3-8206-f5d85532be62-original

Source: comScore, Condé Nast
Advertisers Shift Budgets to Hispanic Media
Hispanicmediaspend2

Source: 2010-2014 Nielsen Monitor Plus, Santiago Solutions Group, Statista
Condé Nast
Feedback, questions, ideas for future issues? Please contact:

Phil Paparella
Condé Nast Research & Insights | Associate Director
1166 6th Avenue, 14th fl. | NY, NY 10036 | office 212.790.6044 | philip_paparella@condenast.com

Contributors:
Tamar Rimmon | Senior Manager, Digital Analytics
Robyn Hightower | Manager, Research & Insights